- Episode 1 – Evaluating Nature Images – Recording and Handouts
- Episode 2 – Making Competitive Nature Images – Recording and Handouts
- Episode 3 – Using a Photo’s Impact to Influence Commenting – Recording and Handouts
- Episode 4 – Exploring Your Questions Panel Discussion – Recording
- Episode 5 – Fall 2023, send us your ideas
You Be the Judge Miniseries
Join to help improve competitions.
The NECCC You Be the Judge Miniseries of educational discussions and presentations is designed to enhance the experience of participating in camera club competitions. These episodes are free and open to everyone. Information about the online meetings, including the date and time, is sent out to the NECCC mailing list in advance, with a reminder sent to registered attendees closer to the event date.
Miniseries Episode 5 – Fall, 2023
We are evaluating a series of ideas. Send us your thoughts?
Some of the ideas we have received (unordered).
- How to judge photos created or enhanced with AI
- NECCC Services for camera clubs
- How to judge photos that include someone’s else artwork
- Ethics and competition guidelines
- When to create or extend camera clubs competition category descriptions and guidelines
- Finding and preparing judges for your competition
- What is my club looking for in a judge?
- Where do I find “qualified” judges?
- Questions to ask when requested to judge?
- Topics to cover with the judge before they score your photos?
- What is photojournalism, photo travel …
Who should attend
Everyone is invited. Please forward this URL to anyone interested.
This fall, on a Friday at 7 pm.
You must register to attend.
You Be the Judge Miniseries Handouts & Recordings
Exploring Your Questions Panel Discussion – Miniseries Episode 4 – May 19, 2023
Exploring Your Questions Panel Discussion Overview In this “Ask Me Anything” session for the NECCC “You Be the Judge Miniseries,” a panel of experts will answer questions from the audience regarding the first three episodes: “Using a Photo’s Impact to Influence Commenting,” “Making Competitive Nature Images,” and “Evaluating Nature Images.” The panel will also answer…
Using a Photo’s Impact to Influence Commenting – Miniseries Episode 3 – Mar 31, 2023
Using a Photo’s Impact to Influence Commenting Overview Chane Cullens (HonNEC) will focus on how to provide educational comments by evaluating a photo based on its impact. He will also explore ways to create impactful photographs through storytelling, creativity, composition, and technical excellence. Understanding the principles that contribute to a photo’s impact can help judges…
Making Competitive Nature Images – Miniseries Episode 2 – Feb 24, 2023
In this program, Richard Cloran (HonFPSA, GMPSA, HonNEC) will explore the key aspects of a successful competitive nature image and what separates them from an otherwise good nature image. Each of the key aspects is covered in short, easily remembered points. These points are then reinforced with multiple examples using images that have and have not…
Evaluating Nature Images – Miniseries Episode 1 – Jan 20, 2023
Overview In this one-hour program, Rick Cloran (HonFPSA, GMPSA, HonNEC) will delve into the rules and guidelines for nature photography competitions as defined by the PSA & FIAP (Photographic Society of America, International Federation of Photographic Art). He will also share his personal insights on how to approach evaluating and commenting on nature images, and…
Wan to Present?
Do you have a relevant topic to present?
- Does it apply to judges?
- Does it apply to photographers?
- Does it apply to camera clubs?
- Is the content ready?
- Where have you used it before?
Working to prioritize and deliver content
- William B. Barnett, FPSA, GMPSA, HonNEC
- Rick Cloran, HonFPSA, GMPSA, HonNEC
- Chane Cullens, HonNEC
- Antoinette Gombeda, APSA, HonNEC
- Dennis Goulet, HonNEC
- Shiv Verma, FPSA, HonNEC
Sign up to Receive Our Newsletter
Be the first to find out about NECCC happenings – from conferences to webinars. You’ll also receive all emails on the Judging Miniseries.
We don’t share your info with anyone else!
Judging Related Content from Keeping Clubs Active
Ideas for Judging Camera Club Competitions by Chane Cullens
Presentation for Keeping Clubs Active. April 4, 2022. Role of Judging Camera Club Competitions. . Formulating an Educational Comment. . Deciding on a Score. . Understanding the Elements of an Excellent Photo – With Interactive Activities
Meeting Minutes – Nov 18, 2021
7:30 – Meeting kickoff – Chane Cullens. . 7:35 – 75th NECCC Photo Conf – Rhonda Cullens. . 7:40 – Competition best practices with Gateway Camera Club